The eventual appointee will be reporting to Senior Legal Counsel and will be responsible for performing the following tasks:
- Provide and assist in the provision of legal advice generally, including legal research and advice on supervisory and regulatory issues related to investigations and enforcement, as well as assisting in the identification and analysis of legal issues and risks and applying sound judgement thereto;
- Vetting and/or drafting of legal instruments/agreements binding the Authority;
- Assist in advisory duties related to the formulation and drafting of policies and procedures, including with respect to the supervisory and regulatory functions of the Authority;
- Reviewing and/or drafting legislative instruments as may be necessary, following and coordinating the legislative process insofar as concerns the MFSA, including attending parliamentary sittings and committee meetings as may be required;
- If and when necessary, assisting in matters related to litigation or potential litigation;
- To perform such other functions or duties as may be assigned.
The Legal Affairs team provides legal advice internally across the organisation on a wide range of matters including enforcement and supervisory matters, as well as matters of an operational nature. It is also involved in the coordination and oversight of the legislative process in so far as laws administered by the MFSA are concerned. Moreover, Legal Affairs attends to any litigation matters and represents the Authority in any action or legal proceedings in which the MFSA is involved or has an interest.
The role requires a University of Malta Degree in Law (LL.D or Master of Advocacy level) or a comparable recognised legal qualification at National Qualification Framework Level 6 or better duly certified by the Malta Qualifications Recognition Information Centre (MQRIC), together with possession of a warrant to practice in the Courts of Malta. A post graduate degree in a discipline relevant to the financial services sector would be considered an asset.
Candidates with three (3) years (or more) working experience relevant to the role will be preferred.
We are looking for candidates with a solid academic background in law, preferably with exposure to financial services law, and who are motivated and willing to expand further their current knowledge. The selected candidate should have a positive attitude, be resourceful and attentive to detail, be able to work independently and have excellent communication skills and a strong command of both Maltese and English (written and spoken). The selected candidate will be required to work towards the achievement of deliverables as may be assigned by superiors, meet deadlines in an efficient and effective manner and collaborate with all other team members as well as colleagues from other teams.